Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Knight In Shinning Armor

Yesterday began with me being at work at 8am. Super exciting I know. But work was kind of boring and really frustrating. I was stuck in the management office underneath Magic Kingdom doing hairstyles on some mannequin heads. I even got to take one home with me. Her name was Gabriella. Woo hoo. 

The boutique consists of three hairstyles. The Fairy Tale Princess, which is a high bun with a small tiara, The Disney Diva, which is basically lots of teasing and hair extensions, and The Pop Princess, which has four twists in the front of the hair and then add the hair extensions and teasing. The lost two I have down pretty well. But if I get a Princess with long thick hair I am screwed. I even tried practicing on Jess and that really didn't go over well. 
Anyway, I am stuck underground with my trainer, Margarita, and my fellow trainee Stephanie who is beginning to drive me crazy. She never seems to stop talking. Luckily, yesterday was a short day and we were done at 2. So I made a quick costume change and went out into the park. This was the first time I have gone straight from work into the park and had to use a different door than the boutique to get in. I found an elevator rode it up, walked past some machinery and through the heaviest wooden door ever and BOOM I was on Cinderella's Castle by the real wishing well and the smoking section. I am sure people thought I was crazy because I kind of busted out of there like a mad woman. 
I had some time to kill until Kristy got off work and the afternoon parade so I did some shopping on Main Street and then camped out a spot for the parade. I spotted Brandon who was working PAC and got a kick out him jumping rope with all the little girls, while waiting on the parade to start. The parade was awesome. Like anything Disney does could be bad... 
Kristy got off work and we ended up meeting up with Brian and Bart (or Bertie as Fifi calls him - she thought his name was Bert! haha) at Space Mountain. We grabbed fast passes and then jumped on again. Then we were off to the Monster's Inc Laugh Floor. It was hilarious. My stomach was hurting at the end of it. They interact with the audience so it is a different show every time. Then we jumped on Buzz Lightyear. I got my high score of 164,000. I have no idea how I did that. I just know that something I hit gave me 100,000 points. When we were walking out we saw Buzz and decided to wait in line to take a picture with him. That was pretty entertaining. 
Kristy and I went and grabbed some food and say hello to Lindsay at work, while the boys went and rode the tea cups. Then we walked down and rode pirates. I was a little worried we were going to sink because all four of us were in the front row and there was no one else in the boat. The one little hill down almost ended badly haha. But then we had to go stakeout our spot for WISHES!! which was amazing as usual. 
We found out that Jess had gotten disqualified from both Minnie and Mickey so we tried to cheer her up a bit. But then Brian and I made a quick run to Publix and I made some spaghetti. Then I had to hit the hay because I was exhausted.
Just a quick note on the BBB. We call out lunch breaks "taking a tea." using the bathroom "visiting the wishing well," and going home "going to feed the horses." I thought that was pretty interesting. I also learned that if we ever encounter a little girl with lice, we have to reference the Lion King in some way. Pumba is what we call lice. I thought that was pretty interesting.
Today I had to be at work at 7:30 so that sucked. we learned how to do the Pop Princess and then went up to the BBB and did make up and nails on little girls. It made the day go by really quickly. Then I met up with Brian and Bart back at Patterson and then we headed back to Hollywood Studios. We rode Rockin' Roller Coaster so many times! Brian and I got some sweet pictures including me punching him in the face and another giving a high five. We even got to ride it basically twice in a row because we went one time and didn't have any Aerosmith to rock out to so the ride totally wasn't the same. We jumped between Rockin' and Tower of Terror. We have decided that the left is the way to go. You get a better ride. So then we decided to see how much hang time we could get so we hid slack in our seat belts. But you only really get one good drop because then your seat belt snaps back. 
While standing in line, we met a nice woman who had to ride by herself because her husband was afraid. She ended up giving us fast passes for Toy Story. Yay!
We met up with Bart's friend Lindsay, not my roommate, and went to Toy Story. It was so much fun! Sadly, I lost to Brian, but I beat him in accuracy. So I call it a tie. 
We had thought that Fantasmic was that night, but it wasn't so we headed over to Epcot to watch Illuminations at 9. We got there early and were going to ride Soarin' and/or Test Track, but they had a 90 minute wait. :( So as we were walking away from Test Track this family blows past us and is like you want fast passes for Test Track and of course we did! We again made friends while waiting in line. We gave them the low down on Magic Kingdom and then the grandmother and I started talking hockey. Apparently her husband had coached a ton of famous NHL players as well as the coaches for the Panthers and Hurricanes. So that was pretty cool. Test Track, for those of you who don't know, is the fastest ride going 64 miles per hour. It basically takes you through some tests that cars apparently go through before we as consumers get them. It was fun - except for the part where I thought we were going to get hit by a truck. I screamed so loud my throat hurt and my entire car laughed at me....good times. 
We finally staked out a place in the US to watch the Illuminations after riding this sweet boat ride in Norway. When you combine trolls, sweet accents and going backwards down waterfalls you can't go wrong. 
Illuminations was pretty interesting. The globe was the best part. That and watching everyone around us jump when a firework launched right in front of us. The fireworks were a lot louder than Wishes. I guess because the sound echoes off of the water. 
By this point we are all starving and don't want to pay Disney prices. So we starved ourselves until after the show and then drove straight to Cici's pizza. We got there 15 minutes before it closed. We probably ate enough pizza to feed 12 people rather than just us 4. But is was so delicious. We definitely were all fat kids. 

2/11
Today I slightly got to sleep in and had to be at work at 9:30. Woo Hoo! I actually got to do little girls hair today. The first little girl I got was a Disney Diva, which luckily was one that I was comfortable with. But I did have one little girl who wanted a Fairy Tale who would not stop crying, had sprinkles in her hair, said everything hurt and eventually Stephanie and I distracted her enough with the Pixie Dust so that Margarita could finish the hair I started. But on a brighter note, I had 2 (count 'em 2!) Pixie Dust moments today. Pixie Dust moments can best be described as the moments where you really feel the magic of Disney and everything it stands for. Example: Krity's pixie dust moment was when she saw the castle for the first time at the beginning of this adventure.

Pixie Dust Moment #1
Ayia, a little girl from England and the second girl I did, was absolutely amazing. She picked the Pop Princess, which is my favorite hairstyle because that is my best one. So I did her hair up in the 4 twists and added the hair extensions and I must say it looked great. Then the magic happened. Once I spun her around in that chair and she opened her eyes her jaw dropped and her mom burst into tears. This, in turn, made me tear up. It was just such a special moment. It is hard to describe in words.

Pixie Dust Moment #2
Erika, a little 4 year old who stole my heart, is obsessed with Ariel and wanted to be just like her. She told me she even brushes her hair with a fork haha. Anyway, I was in charge of her make up while Stephanie did her hair. When I was done, I was killing time by just chatting with her. I asked her what she was going to do once she was made into a princess - whether she was going to ride rides or go look for her knight in shinning armor. That was when she lifted her hand and pointed to her dad and "No, Daddy's my Knight in shinning armor." It took everything in me to not burst into tears right then and there. Oh man that Dad light up when that little girl said that. It was probably the sweetest thing I have ever seen. This little girl was just adorable. After she made everyone around us cry, she and I played I Spy for the remainder of the time. It all ended with me getting a big hug and it was one of the best hugs ever.

After work I just walked around the park people watching. I could spend all day on a bench and just watching people. People at Disney are just so happy and excited. Well, for the most part anyway. I stayed and watched Wishes and did some shopping and then just headed home. Every time I leave to go home I seem to find a new way out. The downside is that all of them tend to take a while. Hopefully, I will find a shorter route. 


0 comments: